Administrative Council Meeting Minutes
April 20, 2006
PRESENT: Rich Hill, Sherrie Cottrell, Nona Schlinker, Bruce Bedingfield, JoAnne Gregorash, John Machonis, Karen Moore, Marshall Nystrom, Jerry McDaniel, Marianne Rogenski, Pastor Bill Shaw, Amy Johnson, Jill Wood-Naatz, MikeWojtal and Cathy Mottar.
Š Opening Prayer - The meeting opened at 7:16p.m. With a prayer given by Pastor Bill.
Š Devotion - Bruce provided the devotion for the meeting. A reading from Herb Miller which refers to Jesus’ core values (help people grow spiritually with God -Fellowship, Prayer, Love your neighbor, and help spread the word beyond our walls.) Marianne volunteered to give the May devotional.
Š Introductions - Rich had everyone introduce themselves and state the name of the committee they represent.
Š Approval of March 16th Minutes - Jill made the motion to approve the March 16th, 2006, minutes as written, Nona seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Huddle (Business of the Church)
- Natural Church Development – The results are here and Sherrie will be calling a meeting of the Steering Committee. She has a call into Martin Lee to find out who the coach will be. The team will plan to have a summary of the results at the next meeting.
- Review of Goals (Stewardship, Trustees, Youth & Pre-School) –
Stewardship – New
members Mark Higgins and Marianne Rogenski, but would still like to more
members. Focus is on the fall campaign.
Trustees – Phones are installed. Looking into adding a garage in 2-3 years for storage (3 car w/1 door), awaiting village approval on the location.
1. To have better transition from Jr. High confirmation to Sr. High youth group.
2. Confirmation will be better organized with clear expectations, small groups, etc… - small groups seem to be working
3. We would like to see 40 youth participate in the 30 Hour Famine. – Had about 30 participants and 20 adults.
4. We would like a group of Sr. High youth to attend the conference’s Sr. High Super Rally in April. – No
5. We hope that the summer mission trip in 2006 will have 40 or more participants. – There are 2 mission trips this year with over 40 people signed up.
Pre-School – Carried over some to 2006.
1. Increase enrollment - Has add a couple of new students
2. Provide new “cubbies” – Have ordered new cubbies and storage.
3. Expand curriculum
4. Lost Spanish speaking teacher.
- Web Page – New site is up and under construction. It will gradually be switching over. The request is still out for updated information from the committees. Looking for a content manager software to implement.
- Calendar Review – Jerry passed out the calendar and asked for any updates be given to him.
No formal report.
Š WTTF - Worship Technology Task Force
Marshall reported we are getting the projectors fixed (hardwired). April 29th there is a workshop “Refreshing Worship” Jerry, Marshall, Jill and Steve Miller will attend. Then we will obtain projection software. They have a list of people to train to run the system. Hope to train them in May/June. Jerry said that there is a computer recycling event on Saturday. Jerry provided a motion to take the unused computers on Saturday and Bruce seconded the motion and it was passed. unanimously.
Congregational giving was down only 4% from the budget. Expenses were on budget. Everything else is in line. Last month was one Sunday short and it has been updated now. The bank where we have our mortgage has requested the annual budget information, this is an annual event.
Š Stewardship – Reported by Pastor Bill.
Oct 22nd will be our consecration Sunday. Leaders meeting will be Oct. 12th.
Š Trustees – Phones are installed and working.
Š Staff-Parish– No representative.
Š Discipleship (Nominations)
No meeting since the last ad board meeting. We have added several new members to the committees and there has been a good response. Doug McNeeley has been helping with resource planning.
Š UMW – United Methodist Women
Sherrie reported that the rummage sale is just about a week away. We are looking for people to work for a small amount of time. Expecting the boy scouts to be helping out again this year.
Salad supper will be May 23rd Tuesday evening and there will be outside entertainment.
Kitchen update – The cabinets and flooring will be removed very soon. Expect to be without the full kitchen 3 days and a sink only 1 day. The carpenter is willing to work evenings. We will paint as well as tile.
Š UMM – United Methodist Men
Marshall provided an update on the following:
1. For Habitat there is new management and it is difficult to assign dates, so we will find another location. Mert is shepherding this effort.
2. Buy Pizza, it is going on sale on Sunday and delivery will be on May 21st.
3. Men from the district will be going to Welsey woods this weekend to help build piers. No sure that anyone from ORUMC will attend.
4. May 7th – Sing for our Supper – more information to follow.
Š Evangelism (Salt & Light)
Shirley McDaniel reported via Jerry that 13 people joined the committee on March 26th and 6 more folks were planning to join, they were just unavailable on that date.
Amy reported that teacher appreciation is on May 7th. Last day of Sunday school is May 14th. There have been a good signup for Vacation Bible School July 10-13th 6:30 to 8:30 in the evening. Would like to provide dinner during this time by family. Currently, the cost for attendance at VBS is free. Amy is checking to see if a permit from the village is required to set up for VBS outside of the church for the week. Marshall offered 2 tarps to be used.
Š Worship/Music –
Music - Karen Moore reported that everyone survived Easter and now they are working on Music Sunday. They would like to emphasis the youth.
Worship - Jill reported that the next 2 Sundays will be the Technology Survey. Pentecost potluck is June 4th, more to come. May 7th and 14th there will be a request for ushers. Planning a 3rd worship service with youth council, we discuss it more next month. Plan to discuss changes to the worship service at the next meeting. The signup for drama is available and has several youth signed up.
Š Youth – Marianne reported the following:
ASP is on their way to our necessary funds but we are still in need of
sponsors. ASP will also having a bake sale again during the rummage
sale so they will be looking for volunteer bakers. There will be an announcement
about that and also a blurb in the bulletin.
The youth council is winding down activities for this school year and
thinking and brainstorming about ways to improve the program next year.
May 14th Service will recognize High School and College graduates.
Planning for a 3rd worship service and will bring the plan to the next meeting.
Š Lay Leader
JoAnne said that the committee presentations are going well and there are 2 remaining.
Š Caring Ministries – Reported by Dr. Bruce
Trying to make a presence in the newsletter.
Š Micah Ministries – Social Justice Committee - Reported via email by Dr. Bruce
Had study on book “Ending Hunger Now”, good discussions.
Past Thursday had representative from Church World Service
June 27th – Chris Pearson will meet with Micah Ministries to provide suggestions for implementation.
June 4th will participate in the service and make people aware of hunger ministries.
Š Family Ministry
Amy did find someone to donate for the licensing to show family movies in the Sanctuary for movie nights.
Christian Corner - Pastor Bill be talking about Justina’s tenure of 10 years of service.
Next Meeting – Both Rich and Sherrie will be out of town on the 18th so the meeting will be held on May 25th at 7:15p.m. Important topics to discuss at the May meeting are Church Development and 3rd Service.
The meeting closed at 8:25 with a prayer by Pastor Bill.
Respectfully submitted by Cathy Mottar
Next Meeting May
25th – 7:15 p.m.