Administrative Council Meeting Minutes
May 25, 2006
PRESENT: Rich Hill, Nona Schlinker, John Machonis, Karen Moore, Marshall Nystrom, Jerry McDaniel, Shirley McDaniel, Bev Wilkes, Marianne Rogenski, Jenna Nystrom, Stephanie Penev, Missy Gerga, Amy Johnson, Jean Homeyer, Jill Wood-Naatz, Don Wiebel, and Cathy Mottar.
á Opening Prayer - The meeting opened at 7:16p.m. with a prayer given by Nona Schlinker .
á Devotion – Stephanie Penev provided the devotional . Nona Schlinker volunteered to give the June devotional.
á Introductions - Rich had everyone introduce themselves and state the name of the committee they represent.
á Approval of April 20th Meeting Minutes - John made the motion to approve the April 20th, 2006, minutes with changes as noted (proper spelling of Meneely and the word committee to church in Evangelism report), Marshall seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Huddle (Business of the Church)
- Natural Church Development – The minimum factor is Need-oriented Evangelism, so that is where we will focus. There will not be any further meetings until the coach is assigned.
- Review of Goals – Postponed
- Web Page & Calendar Review – Jerry passed out the calendar and asked for any updates to be given to him.
- 3rd Church Service - Missy on behalf of the Youth Council is proposing a 3rd service to take place of an evening about 6:30 targeted at teens and 20 somethingŐs; however, all attendees are welcome. They want it to be more contemporary with upbeat songs and types of praying. They want to use the Message Bible. The service would be 45 – 60 minutes and then small groups to follow. Service will be youth run. They want to get outside speakers or interactive drama which may be the message. It will be lead by the youth with adult guidance. It will be funded by the youth council budget. The statistics show that teens and 20s leave the church even if they have been involved during their younger years. Jenna provided her college experience where she wanted to continue attending a service. They would also like to have a band made up of members from our church.
- Stephanie has done research on-line with regard to the services at other churches.
- They would like to use the summer to research and plan for a fall start to the service.
The group just requested support from the ad council. In support of the effort Jerry shared that he and Shirley meet at such a meeting/service.
John made a motion that the Administrative Council provides their support for this effort and Marshall seconded the motion and it carried.
Pastor Bill provided a report in his absence which was read by Rich. He shared that 50+ members are planned to go on our mission trips this summer, to work on the Micah ministries team, to our Worship/Music teams.
á WTTF - Worship Technology Task Force
Marshall reported that the fan were all wired to the same switch instead of individually. They will rent a lift for $200 and will work with the Trustees to change the wiring appropriately.
John reported that Congregational giving was within the expected range of gifts and tithes. Expenses are now under budget. YTD $3000 in the black.
á Stewardship – Pastor BillŐs report noted the dates for Commitment Sunday, October 22nd and the Leadership Dinner is October 12th. The committee is working on a class to be offered this summer and again in the fall on Christian Budgeting.
á Trustees – Bev Wilkes reported for the committee that the middle ceiling fan is causing severe headaches. Arrangements are being made to remove a Parsonage tree. New ballast and bulb were installed in the parking lot, which had been broken free of charge. Lee Gac will be getting bids to have the cracks in the parking lot fixed. There is a problem with the emergency lights and exit lights which is being looked into. Quotes are being obtained for pest control and furnace duct cleaning. A new contract is under consideration for the office copy machine, which should continue to be a part of the trusteeŐs budget. Jerry McDaniel will ensure that the contract is explained to the Trustees as they should provide input to the contract. A new phone system has been installed and seems to be working well. It was suggested that all committees review the policy with regard to youth working on projects.
á Staff-Parish– Jean Homeyer presented the report. The staff parish has approved the hiring of a Director of Discipleship to assist with the Natural Church development.
á Discipleship (Nominations)
Pastor Bill provided a report in his absence which was read by Rich The committee has been working on a process for identifying spiritual gifts and getting people connected to ministry in areas that match their gifts. They are also working on a year long plan to strengthen the nominations process. DougMeneely is bringing his expertise to the group.
á UMW – United Methodist Women
Sherrie reported that the rummage sale was a huge success. They also wanted to say Thanks for all the help!! There was a profit of approximately $4,300 which will be donated to charity at the end of the year. Salad supper was held May 23rd Tuesday evening, there were about 30 attendees and a good time was had by all. Shirley Odegaard did an excellent job pulling it all together. The next meeting will be held on September 16th with the program being on Russia. UMW have set up a program that will support the Christian Corners Day Care by financing the Build a Bear project one year and then buying books the next year. This program is called ŇThe Hope Fund.Ó They were also recognized as a 5-Star unit for undesignated gifts given to missions in 2005 by the Elgin District.
Kitchen update – There are just a few finishing touches left to be done. Thank you so much for all who helped, especially Rob Mottar, who is responsible for the beautiful floor. Thank you to the guys of the church namely Bob Kapp, Jerry McDaniel and Jim Naatz who did the grunt work (like removing the old cabinets, cleaning the grease trap, removing the old tile, etcÉ).
á UMM – United Methodist Men
Marshall provided an update on the following:
1. Looking for another site. for Habitat there is new management at the current location and it is difficult to assign dates. Mert is shepherding this effort.
2. Made 96 pizzas and sold them all to get about a $300 profit.
3. Society of Saint Andrew donated $1,500.
4. May 7th – Sing for our Supper – the turn out was not very good.
á Evangelism (Salt & Light)
Shirley McDaniel reported that we do have a group of people that go out and visit new people with a packet and a little loaf of bread. She is hoping that the Director of Discipleship will help with this effort.
Amy reported that she believes that they have enough teachers for next fall and they may need only 1 more teacher and as many aides as they can find.
Sunday school is over. They were disappointed that they didnŐt get through as much curriculum as they would have liked.
Vacation Bible School is July 10-13th from 6:30 to 8:30 in the evening. VBS is coming along very well and there will be a petting zoo on the Thursday. There will be a Christen Corner version for 1 hour in the mornings at 10 a.m. There will be a potluck dinner July 10th – 13th and it will be organized by Sherrie Cottrell.
á Worship/Music –
Worship – 6-7 ushers have been added. Results of worship survey are being analyzed. Meeting with music committee to evaluate how worship is changing and how we can best use our resources. Mark Torgenson is helping with this effort as this is what he teaches.
Music - Karen Moore reported that they appreciated everyoneŐs support on Music Sunday. They would like to emphasis the youth during the summer.
á Youth - No Report
á Lay Leader - No Report
á Caring Ministries – Reported via email by Dr. Bruce, Caring Ministries did not meet this month. They will continue to their article in the Redeemer Review. They are still open to having a designated location in the narthex. They are due to make a contribution to Richard ValesŐ ministry, which should be about 50% of the cell tower tithe. The next meeting is scheduled for September.
á Micah Ministries – Social Justice Committee - Reported via email by Dr. Bruce
Micah ministries will be working on the June 4th service with Pastor Bill as they will participate in the service and make people aware of hunger ministries.
June 27th – Chris Piersen will meet with Micah Ministries to provide suggestions for implementation of social justice issues.
Very dedicated group and will be planning very soon how they can address these issues.
á Family Ministry
á Christian Corner - Need to close the center for a significant period of time (about a week) to do a thorough cleaning in 2007. DCFS Edie Washington did make a surprise visit / unannounced and everything was great. Justina is waiting for the Health Department to do the same. She was very pleased with the recognition from the church.
á Miscellaneous Items
Don found that within the last couple weeks that a door was left unlocked in the church. Just caution everyone to make sure the doors are locked.
Picnic is being handled by Gwen.
1st camping weekend is June 2,3 & 4 to Rock Cut State Park.
Next Meeting – Presently scheduled for June 15th, which is ASP week and several members will be out of town. Tentatively schedule June 22nd for the meeting.
The meeting closed at 8:33 with a prayer by Don and John.
Respectfully submitted by Cathy Mottar
Next Meeting June 22nd – 7:15 p.m.