Administrative Council Meeting Minutes
February 16, 2006
PRESENT: Sherrie Cottrell, Nona Schlinker, Shirley McDaniel, Marshall Nystrom, Jerry McDaniel, Marianne Rogenski, Pastor Bill Shaw, Mary Zalay, Scott Nordli, Fred Utne, Marion Kehrberg and Cathy Mottar.
Š Opening Prayer - The meeting opened at 7:16p.m. With a prayer given by Pastor Bill.
Š Devotion - Sherrie provided the devotion for the meeting. She talked about prayer shawls and their ministries. These shawls are knitted, crocheted or sewed to provide comfort, blessings and peace to others.
Š Introductions - Rich had everyone introduce themselves and state the name of the committee they represent.
Š Approval of January 19th Minutes - Marianne made the motion to approve the January 19th, 2006, minutes as written, Nona seconded and the motion which passed unanimously.
Huddle (Business of the Church)
- Kitchen Cabinets – Sherrie reported that the UMW has been analyzing the kitchen to make it more organized. The Memorial Committee gave $5,000 to make improvements. Mary Zalay reported what they will have done from Menard’s plan. They have already closed off the window. They will have 2 utility cabinets, upper and lower cabinets, a microwave installed overhead, 2 refrigerators (will stay), and stove (will stay), etc… They will get new cabinets with handles and countertops and installation. They are over by about $600. The cabinet removal will be done by “our guys in the church.” The church already has floor tile and Rob Mottar has agreed to lay it in the kitchen and the little bathroom. He also said that he could get the baseboard to match the existing.
- Natural Church Development – The next step is the all church letter to let the members know about the survey coming up. They are putting together the Steering Committee, which consists of Pastor Bill, Ralph Will, Sherrie Cottrell, Sharon Clermont, Carl Jeziorski, Melinda Taylor and Jeff Greenwalt.
- Review of Worship times – The worship statistics don’t appear to show any significant changes between the last 2 years. We may need to look at the demographic issues of the local community. We need to be more proactive about what we are doing in our church with targeted series (i.e. addiction series).
- Goals – Sherrie provided a handout of the goals that we had collected to date. If we don’t have them email them to Cathy, so in March they can be reviewed as to how they are coming along.
- Narthex Task Force – We are going to try to make it more desirable for a new comer to come into the church and to make the ministries more visible. Pastor Bill, Mary Zalay, Sherrie Cottrell and Carolyn Meneely are on the team thus far. They are supposed to come back to this ad council in June with their recommendation on this area.
- Calendar Review – Jerry passed out the calendar and asked for any updates be given to him.
March 23rd – Safe Sanctuary’s training – Training about keeping youth safe in the church. Anyone is welcome to come. We especially want to get youth workers and teachers through this program.
Pastor Bill has been working with a Christian Unity group and shared a recent experience with the council.
Reminded the council of the Revelation and the Lenten series that is coming up.
Š WTTF - Worship Technology Task Force
Marshall reported that they are moving forward and they would like to receive input.
Congregational giving was down $5k from the budget. Expenses were about the same.
Š Stewardship – Reported by Pastor Bill.
Stewardship meeting is coming up in March.
Š Trustees – No Report.
Š Staff-Parish– Reported by Scott Nordli.
The staff gifts will be coming out after the next meeting in March. Annette Brown and Tristan Almazon were added to the committee.
Š Discipleship (Nominations)
Š UMW – United Methodist Women
Sherrie reported that the next meeting of UMW is this Saturday on Germany given by Von Evitts. Last night was the first evening meeting, which was small.
Š UMM – United Methodist Men
Marshall provided an update on the following:
1. There will be Habitat this Saturday meeting at the church at 7a.m. Be sure to find the sandwiches in the frig prepared by the UMW.
2. The spaghetti dinner went off on February 5th They made $460 and gave away quite a bit of food to others.
3. There is a District Lenten breakfast at 8:30 at Our Saviors, March 4th.
4. Don Wiebel was truly appreciative of his lifetime membership recognition on February 5th.
Š Evangelism (Salt & Light)
Shirley McDaniel reported that there is a group; however, they are chairman less. They do take a packet and loaf of bread to the new people. They do do “Pizza with the Pastor” and the committee at March 5th at 11:45, which is the next meeting. They really want a leader.
Jerry McDaniel reported they are having an evening vacation bible school.
Š Worship/Music –
Marian reported that rehearsals have begun for the Lenten services. The worship meeting has been postponed with Jill being away.
Š Youth – Marianne reported the following:
1. 30 Hour Famine is a week from tomorrow February 24-25. They are pretty much set on chaperones but still need prayer partners. Right now there are 37
youth signed up to participate--WOW!
2. Thanks to Cathy Mottar for organizing the ski trip last month--everyone had a great time!
Š Lay Leader
JoAnne said that she has committees scheduled to present in front of the church through March.
Š Caring Ministries – Reported via email by Dr. Bruce
Caring Ministries has not met since early January. But February 26 will be the Sunday they present to the congregation. Dr. Bruce anticipates having an updated Caring Ministries brochure available at that Sunday's services. They can also build on the third and last showing from the Richard Vales' DVD.
Š Micah Ministries – Social Justice Committee - Reported via email by Dr. Bruce
Micah Ministries met on Tuesday, Feb. 7. They heard a report given by Ray Doud representing the organization United Power for Action and Justice. Although that organization does indeed deal with social justice, they do not really deal as much with hunger as Micah Ministries hope to do. They will hear about other organizations at subsequent meetings (i.e. Bread for the World and Church World Service). This group’s focus is the Lenten Bible Study on the book “Ending Hunger Now” by George McGovern and Bob Dole. The sessions will be held on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-8:30 on March 7, 14, 21, 28, and April 4. Anyone in the church family is welcome and encouraged to attend.
They also anticipate supporting the youth's Thirty Hour Famine at a minimum being prayer partners and the Society of St. Andrews' Lenten project.
Š Family Ministry
Š Christian Corner - Nona shared the following update:
There have been 2 new students start in the last 2 weeks. Amy Meyer did talk to them about the plans for vacation bible school.
Sherrie requested a volunteer to take the meeting notes next month as Cathy will be on vacation. Jerry McDaniel volunteered.
The meeting closed at 8:48 with a prayer by Pastor Bill.
Respectfully submitted by Cathy Mottar
Next Meeting March 16th – 7:15 p.m.