Administrative Council Meeting Minutes
June 22, 2006
PRESENT: Sherrie Cottrell, Bruce Bedingfield, John
Machonis, Marianne Rogenski, Pastor Bill,
Amy Johnson, JoAnne Gregorash, Jill
Wood-Naatz, Shirley Odegaard and
á Opening Prayer - The meeting opened at 7:22p.m. with a prayer given by Sherrie Cottrell.
á Devotion – Pastor Bill provided the devotional talking about his ASP experience with God being there ÒThe Pocket Watch.Ó Marshall will give the August devotional.
á Introductions - Sherrie had everyone introduce themselves and state the name of the committee they represent.
Approval of May
25th Meeting Minutes - Jill made the motion to approve the May
, , John seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Huddle (Business of the Church)
3rd Church Service - Preview on December 3rd and begin January 7th, 2007, in full. In order to be well prepared for the services.
Natural Church Development – There is a coach named James Zimmerman. The next meeting will be in July due to travel schedules. Steve Miller has volunteered to join the committee. Pastor Bill has met with him already. James is the praise team leader in Libertyville. He has both business and non-profit experience. He already has some ideas for us.
Narthex update – There is a committee and they have visited some nearby churches to get ideas. It was not very fruitful. They do have some ideas that will be presented in the near future.
Review of Goals –
UMW – Update provided by Sherrie. The UMW tried meeting for about 3 months at someoneÕs home and it was not very successful.
The goals were:
1. Increase participation
2. Offer More Variety and Service Opportunities
Picnic – Gwen is willing to organize the picnic for August 20th with the same activities. She would like UMM to set up and UMW help with the kitchen. Sherrie will contact Gwen to let her know that the date is good.
Web Page & Calendar Review – Sherrie provided a suggestion to get the committees to update their web pages. On the calendar, communion will be on July 16th. Sherrie reviewed the calendar and asked for any updates. There may be some conflicts with VBS, which need to be reviewed.
Items for consideration – Shirley
Shirley provided her background, then discussed a few items for consideration.
1. She discussed having a pop machine at ORUMC as a potential fundraiser. - This is an issue that the trustees need to discuss.
2. She identified a need for a radio broadcast of our Sunday church service, which would help with our evangelism efforts. - The feasibility needs to be reviewed with the Worship and the Technical Team.
3. She suggested a Christmas in July dinner with specific details as a potential fundraiser. - The Family Ministry team should review the feasibility of this idea.
Annual Conference – Update from Jill
There was recognition of many female clergy. Our sister relationship with Seoul, South Korea. There is an agreement to do exchanges with them. There is an organization called ÒChurch Builders,Ó who provide funding for struggling churches. Jill has several brochures that she will share with individuals in our church.
John reported that Congregational giving remains 70% below budget. Expenses are under budget. YTD $3600 in the black. In the August meeting, they will be discussing the 2007 budget, so committees will be contacted for information.
Pastor Bill presented the report. The staff parish has published a job description in the news letter and weekly bulletin for a Director of Discipleship to assist with the Natural Church development.
Next meeting on Thursday evening on June 27th – Chris Piersen will meet with Micah Ministries to provide suggestions for implementation of social justice issues.
Pastor BillÕs report they had a meeting to discuss the Stewardship dinner having it outside or catered in October. The committee is working on a class to be offered this fall on Christian Budgeting.
Jim Gerga reported for the committee that that they reviewed the Risk Management Policy. They are within budget. Quotes are being received on the repairs to parking lot, furnace air ducts for entire building and the Parsonage. There will no July meeting.
á Nominations - No Report.
Sherrie reported that UMW will resume in September with a presentation on Russia.
á UMM - Next meeting in July.
á Evangelism – No report.
Amy reported that Vacation Bible School is July 10-13th from 6:30 to 8:30 in the evening. VBS is coming along good. There are only easy jobs left. We have received the permit for the petting zoo. She needs a couple tribal parents who only sheperd not teach. They need registration to get a general count for who will attend for the dinner before. Pastor Bill will provide an announcement on Sunday.
Worship – Jill reported that they are in the process of re-evaluating worship at this time. They had a survey last Sunday to gather information. No specific updates. Results of worship survey are being analyzed. Meeting with music committee to evaluate how worship is changing and how we can best use our resources.
Music – No Report.
Marianne reported 41 people went to ASP. The group is gearing up for the Louisiana trip, which is mostly adults.
JoAnne reported that there on 3 committees left to report.
á Memorial Committee - No Report
Reported by Dr. Bruce, Caring Ministries did not meet this month. They will continue to their article in the Redeemer Review. They are due to make a contribution to Richard ValesÕ ministry. The next meeting is scheduled for September. The food pantry is down at this time, so please bring food to replenish it. Maybe have a feed a family for a day and provide a bible to give to feed them for a life time. Maybe provide a food card that can be limited to food. Buy extra when you go to the store to provide to the food pantry. Maybe even have a garden that is visible to the community, need approval from the city.
Amy provided an update that the camping group has gone once and a good time was enjoyed by all. The next trip is July 7 – 9th which is being hosted by the Hills. She is planning a family movie night to watch Narnia in August 18th at 7p.m.
á Christian Corner - They did receive their new cubbies. The old ones are available for anyone to take. There is a brand new refrigerator for the kitchen.
The meeting closed at 8:40 with a prayer by Pastor Bill.
Respectfully submitted by Cathy Mottar.
Next Meeting August 17th – 7:15 p.m.
There will not be a meeting in July.